Pages

Saturday 18 February 2017

This Week

I am still on Operation Empty the Feezers and have one freezer almost empty. David opened it this last week and could not believe the amount of ice that had built up inside it - major igloo. Once we have it defrosted and cleaned there will be twice as much space in it once the ice has gone. I suggested we get rid of the fridge freezer altogether but then realised we don't have a vehicle big enough to take it to the tip and it works okay so it will remain in the garage. 

This past week we had a reduced price chicken that I roasted with reduced price stuffing. This stuffing from M&S is just so delicious and the tastiest stuffing we have ever eaten. Sadly this was the last packet in the the freezer. We had reduced price vegetables with the dinner. I know this sounds weird but I prefer my carrots cut into batons instead of rounds. I am just not keen on round carrot slices and wonder whether it reminds me of school dinners and hence the dislike?





We also had mildly spiced curried chicken breast with rice and a side of aloo saag tikki bites with mango chutney. I loved this as a fairly light meal one evening.




I work from home a day or so a week and knew I had some ready made quiches in one freezer. I pulled out a vegetable quiche and was puzzled as to why I had bought this as I normally buy cheese and onion or cheese and ham. I turned it over and noticed the 30p price and then realised why I had bought it. David and I had it warmed through in the oven with some salad. It made a really cheap and tasty lunch for both of us. Luckily I had bought two so I look forward to another one next week.



I have been enjoying the Yankee candles wax burner in our lounge in the evenings. Some of my candles have been leaving a sooty deposit on the top of the window frame but with the wax burner I am only burning tealights so we get little smoke and we still a lovely scent in the room. The melted red wax came with the burner and is a cinnamon scent. I knew I had some more wax melts tucked away in my candle storage box (I've become organised now) and found these lovely maple syrup scented tarts. They look too nice to melt but they are ready for this evening.




eBay sales have been steady but slow. I cleared out the cupboard that I use for crockery this past weekend and found two items that I had bought from a school table top sale and the Cheshire carboot sale. One was a pizza stone - used once and then put to the back of the cupboard and a lovely chip and dip set from the Royal Worcester Jamie Oliver range. This has never been used as we are not really chip and dip people. I bought it because I liked the style of it and the thought of relaxed entertaining - just a ""fancy really and so both are now listed on eBay.



We went to the Lowry on Thursday evening for a Tesco voucher meal at Cafe Rouge followed by a visit to the BBC at Media City (a 2 minute walk from the Lowry) to be in the audience for the filming of the new series of Porridge. It was an interesting and entertaining experience and the actors were brilliant. They were cracking jokes and having a laugh with us between scenes and I look forward to watching the series when it is shown on TV.



No comments: