Pages

Monday 7 December 2015

Festive Films

I know that Christmas is not greeted with great joy by everyone but I am one of those people who just loves this time of the year. My birthday is in December and I think that adds to the festivities. It is a busy month with a night out for my birthday, our annual visit for a short break at Portmeirion Village in North Wales and the Christmas Carol Service at Manchester Cathederal. 

There is all the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping for food and last minute gifts, getting the house decorated and making our home ready for guests. We were busy all weekend with chores such as defrosting both small chest freezers in the garage to make room for festive food (they were both like igloos with the lids refusing to shut) and putting the tree up.

After all that busy work you need to put your feet up and relax a while. This is something I preach more than I practise (I struggle with doing nothing and am a 4am-5am riser who sleeps lightly). I am forcing myself to try to rest and take time out and at this time of year festive films cheer me up no end and force me to sit down and relax. So what have I (we) watched so far:

It's a Wonderful Life (I cry every time) I can't make up my mind over whether I prefer the black & white or colourised version.


The Polar Express (Wonderful Tom Hanks)


Flint Street Nativity (Laugh out loud British humour)


Miracle on 34th Street (Lovely Dickie Attenborough)


The Holiday (Heart warming rom com. I go more for Jack Black than Jude Law)


A Christmas Carol (Animated version with Jim Carrey)


The Santa Clause (Feel good family film)



What do we still have left to watch?

White Christmas (So glamorous - I always cry at the end)


Scrooged (Bill Murray at his best)



Love Actually (A British Classic)



The Nutcracker (I saw the ballet over 20 years ago and was enchanted)


We've watched more than we have left to watch but I am sure there will be some great films on TV over the next couple of weeks. Which are your favourites Christmas films?

No comments: