Pages

Wednesday 11 March 2015

Our Weekend - Saturday

Do any of you have restful weekends spending time visiting art galleries, museums and days at the seaside?or are your weekends like mine and feel just like an extension of the working week only working at home instead of at work?

We seem to be so busy at the weekends and this weekend started on Friday night picking up David from work, popping into the small local Marks & Spencer store near me to collect an on-line order. This was also an opportunity to pick up a few reduced items. I bought three small farmhouse loaves that were all half price at 55p and several naughty bags of crisps that were only 45p. The reduced fat buttered baked potato crisps were divine. I have never tasted crisps that were so tasty, fresh and crunchy and this is from a short-dated packet. I also bought lots of reduced vegetables and these included carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, ready to roast potatoes and garlic mushrooms. All great when severed with some roast chicken thighs (cheap and the most tasty part of the bird).

I then did two weeks worth of ironing, put all the ironing away in linen cupboards and wardrobes  and then put fresh sheets and pillowcases on our bed. I change our bedding once a week, I'm not sure whether this is normal or not so please let me know if you change yours more or less frequently. 

By 8.45am on Saturday morning when I was leaving to take David to work I had done another load of washing and turned on the tumble dryer, made a lasagne which was partly baked and cooling off to store in the fridge, made the bed, dealt with my emails and washed the pots from the night before.

After dropping David off I called into Waitrose to get some kitty litter for our cat, some burger buns, two bottles of Cava for the weekend and my free newspaper and coffee. My favourite drink is Cava as I love a dry white wine and if it is sparkling then even better. I prefer Champange but Cava is more my budget. I had to laugh at my weird shopping list!

I sat down for 10 mins while I read the paper and drank my coffee and then it was upstairs to clear out my wardrobe which I have been doing over the last two weekends. There are four areas of my wardrobe. One half has a high hanging rail for dresses, the other side has a low hanging rail for tops, skirts and trousers. The third area is a shelf above this rail and the fourth is basically the bottom of the wardrobe where I store my boots. I had cleared the shelf, the high hanging rail and the bottom of the wardrobe last weekend. This weekend it was the low hanging rail. I take things out in sections, try things on and decide whether I still like the items, that they fit and if they make me feel good. Some things fit but do not make me feel happy if you know what I mean so these go. I had four areas that the clothes went to and these were: back into the wardrobe, into a bag for my sister, into a bag for selling by weight and finally into our dining room ready for listing on ebay.





I then spent some time clearing out the top shelf of a built in cupboard in our bedroom. This cupboard holds my shoes and handbags on the bottom two shelves and the top has my jewellry boxes and toiletries that I use on an every day basis. I don't have a dressing table or vanity unit so use this shelf instead. I took out everything and was so pleased to find two bottles of face serum and a bottle of facial toner that I had forgotten I had. They were tucked right at the back behind my large jewellry box. I was starting to run out of both of these so this was a real bonus. I found some items that I have never used such as toiletry bags that have come as part of free gift sets and some lipstick holders that are lovely but are still in their boxes unused and have been for a couple of years. It was time for them to go.

I spent the afternoon listing some items to sell on ebay. I always look at what others are selling similar or exact items for, the cost of postage and packaging they are charging etc. and try to pitch mine at around the same. You will be amazed at how much you can make collectively with lots of small priced items. Last year I had a real purge month and made just under £1,000. This was through selling mainly clothes, shoes and toiletries. Not bad for a few hours work at weekends. You have to bear in mind that ebay charge 10% of the final price and paypal charge 3.4% + 20p per item for using their service.







David has been working hard on the kitchen so it was not great to use for cooking so I quickly made some home mader beef burgers from steak mince and finely chopped onions and we had these on buns with pickle, relish and melted mozzarella cheese for our evening meal. Simple but delicious. More about the kitchen on my second posting - Our Weekend - Sunday.

No comments: