Pages

Tuesday 9 May 2017

Welsh Weekend Away

My regular readers will know how much I love North Wales. Depending on which part we visit the journey only takes between an hour and two and a half hours for us to visit some of our favourite places. This last weekend we stayed near Abersoch which we have been visiting for the last thirty years together.

We arrived late Friday afternoon to a cute apartment with a view out towards the sea and the mountains beyond. It was for 4 people with two bedrooms, one with twin beds and one with a double. We unloaded our bags, had a quick shower and change of clothes and it was out to Dylans restaurant in Criccieth. We'd pre-booked a table and arrived to a bustling place with customers sitting outside as well as in due to the warm sunny weather.


I ordered my favourite Bloody Mary drink and asked for it spicy. When we last visited in March we had taken my dad with us and he had asked for a sip of my drink to taste it. He had responded with "WOW that's hot" so I guess I must like them extra spicy. We had a lovely meal before heading home for a good nights sleep all ready for a busy Saturday.



Saturday morning we visited Pwllheli and visited a couple of charity shops. Our favourite is the RSPCA shop as it has sensible prices compared to the silly prices asked in high street charity shops these days. I bought ten magazines, Country Life & Gardeners World at 20p each. They are all dated 2016. I also bought series two of the award winning Indian Summers starting Julie Walters. I missed this when it was on TV so was pleased to find it for £2. Now I just need to find series one and I can start watching it! I'll put this away until I find series one. The first series tend to come up on carboot sales more than later numbered series so I am sure I will be in luck at some point. I also found a January 2017 Vogue for 50p in Porthmadog which we visited in the afternoon.




We drove to Abersoch in the evening for a Thai meal at The Coconut Kitchen. It is a small and extremely busy restaurant and we were pleased that we had pre-booked a table here too as we had to wait at the bar with drinks for our table to become free. It was packed. The food is always delicious and after crispy sea bass starters I had a bowl of divine Pad Thai with crunchy peanut topping. Delicious. David opted for a crispy noodle dish.



Sunday morning and I was awake at 5.30am. I wish I could sleep in on lazy weekend away mornings but I haven't used an alarm clock for years and just wake up early. We were on the road at 7.30am to visit a very busy carboot sale in Porthmadog. It is so tiny compared to the massive Cheshire carboot sale that we are used to. I only found a few items but was pleased with all of them. My favourite is this sheer kimono style jacket from Next. I love the nasturtium flowers and little lady bird on a leaf print. I wore this on Sunday evening over a long black t shirt dress and thought it looked great.




I bought some clip & click plastic tubs for 20p each and a microwave soup mug for 30p. All for packed lunches when at work.


My final two purchases were a DVD of Victoria Wood's Dinner Ladies - the complete set for £1. I love her work and feel she is such a loss to the comedy world. Having said that have you seen the drama Housewife 49, that she starred in? Based on true events it is such a charming but sad film based before, during and just after WWII. I also bought a 50p paperback written by Helen Lederer also a brilliant comedian.



We travelled from the carboot sale to spend the day at Abersoch after a pit stop at our base for a cooked English breakfast. We took a few snacks and drinks, some of the magazines that I had bought the day before and our folding beach chairs. We spent about 3 to 4 hours sitting in the sun with our toes in the sand and people watching with boats bobbing by. After a while David said he fancied a beer in the Zinc Bar which has a terrace at the back overlooking the harbour so we packed up and headed there. I was driving so just had a tonic water and pretended their was a gin in it and David enjoyed his beer in the sunshine.





We headed back late afternoon and after a shower and change we were out for one final meal. We opted for traditional fish and chips with mushy peas and a hot chocolate fudge brownie with ice-cream. Up early Monday morning to drive home and in time for me to work from mid-morning onwards. The end of a great weekend away and just enough to re-charge our batteries.






No comments: