Pages

Sunday 29 November 2015

Nearly Free Nights Out

I am a lover of a website that you can sign up to for free tickets to films and events. I know that I have mentioned Show Film First before and over a week or so ago, on a Wednesday night we had a nearly free night out with free tickets to see Guys and Dolls at the Palace Theatre in Manchester city centre.

It was a great show with Sophie Thompson and David Haig taking centre stage and bringing the laughs to this fantastic musical. We had stall seats that should have cost us £44.50 each but by signing up to the website I was sent an email advising that tickets were available for free. A couple of minutes later I had two tickets reserved for myself and David and we had £89 worth of theatre tickets for nothing.

I had to collect the tickets between 5pm and 6pm at the theatre on the night of the show and the show did not start until 7.30pm so this was just the right amount of time for us to have a pre-theatre meal.




I had a look on line to see which restaurants were near the theatre and just a short distance away was a Pizza Express. I booked straight away as they had a buy one get one free deal on main meals on a Wednesday and I knew a code would be emailed to me. Sure enough we got the code and not only did it include main meals but it also included BOGOF on the famous starter of dough balls with garlic butter.

Our meal was cheap and cheerful with food costing us just £13.50 for the two of us using the offer and a bottle of wine at just over £14.

With the cost of our return tram tickets into Manchester at £4 each we had a fantastic night for a little under £40 for both of us. It actually cost us more than £40 because we left a tip for our waiter but it was still incredible value.

A week later we were back into Manchester again with free tickets to The Comedy Store courtesy of the BBC who were recording The Show What You Wrote for Radio 4. This was great fun and was the third time we had visited The Comedy Store for free with the BBC. Sign up for their free ticket events on their website here.

The show starred John Thomson (remember him from Cold Feet?) and Shobna Gulati (of Dinner Ladies fame). We loved every minute of it and think it is great to have a few drinks and some great laughs on a night out.

So, how did my surgery go? It was a long day with 3 operations in total. Two to remove the carcinoma (the surgeon did not get it all first time) and one to reconstruct my nose. I don't look too pretty at the moment but know I should look better next week when the stitches are out and the bruising and swelling have subsided. I've managed to not take a day off sick and have worked from home using my laptop and blackberry although I have missed the hustle and bustle of the office. Yesterday morning the most beautiful bouquet of flowers arrived from work for me and have cheered me up no end.


No comments: