Pages

Saturday 25 October 2014

Car Boot Sale Finds

We were lucky again last Sunday in that the weather was fine, dry and fairly warm for the beginning of Autumn. We reckon that we may have two more weekends left of car booting until the end of October if the weather stays as good as it has been over the last two Sunday's.

The problem with the end of the car booting season is that there is a dwindling amount of sellers as most people sell during the height of the summer when the weather is good and the days are long. I tend to find that instead of numerous rows of sellers who fill the whole field that there is maybe 4 or 5 rows which fill a third of the field. This means there is not as much choice or bargains to be had. There is also the issue that the mornings are dark so we are not leaving home until 7.30am and getting to the car boot at about 8am. We have normally been at the carboot sale for an hour at 8am in the middle of summer.

Having said all of the above, we still came home with some great purchases. David managed to get some better bargains than me this week as he found a fabulous Technics cassette player for £2 and a fantastic DJ album case for his vinyl collection for £3 along with numerous CDs for around 50p each. He also bought 5 brand new TDK minidiscs for £4. From that collection, I am sure you can guess that he is really into music.

I came home with a mixed bag of all sorts. I am a lover of tea as I suppose most British people are. These days I find that most of us use teabags, but last year I managed to find a great teapot that had a metal cage fitted inside it so that you can use loose tea and not have the problem of tea leaves in the bottom of your cup. I now often buy loose tea and find that you can get some interesting blends of loose tea compared to tea bags. I found this lovely tin of English Breakfast Tea from Williamson Tea and it is in their limited edition range in their Elephant Tea Caddy. This is called Pink Love in aid of the Breast Cancer Charity. These are actually tea bags rather than loose tea and cost £9.50. I paid £1 for this and the bags are best before 30th November 2016 so plenty of time to use them.





I try to take care of my hands and nails and have a manicure every three weeks with gel polish. I was pleased to find this cute tin of hand care products from Crabtree Evelyn which contained hand cream, hand saviour and nail & cuticle gel along with a manicure block. This cost just £2.




The other items that I bought were just DVDs for between 50p and £1. Some of these were boxed sets so will keep me occupied for a few weeks to come. I also found a brand new apron which had been bought from Past Times, which has now sadly disappeared from the high street along with so many other businesses. They used to have a shop at The Lowry outlet not too far from where I live and I used to get a few gifts from this shop for Christmas or birthdays. This had a printed ticket price of £12.50 but I paid just £1. I already have a lovely apron that I bought in France when visiting my mum so I will keep this in reserve until my current apron starts to look a bit too shabby. I used to think that wearing an apron was so old fashioned but for keeping your clothes clean when you are cooking or doing some messy cleaning jobs then they are indispensable.

Well I hope I can give an another update on bargains soon and hopefully tomorrow if the Cheshire car boot sale is still on.

No comments: