Pages

Sunday 25 September 2016

Carboot Haul

I know I have been AWOL for a couple of weeks. More about the reason behind this in another posting but I have been out of the country for 12 days and returned late Friday afternoon. After two weeks without my beloved Cheshire Carboot Sale it was great to be back there again today even though it rained and the forcast had been for sun.

I bought two medium sized Yankee Candle jars for £6 each from one seller who appeared to have a full Hallmark shop. These are usually £17.99 each so at £6 I wasn't arguing over the price. I bought Fireside Treats and Spiced Orange which I think will be great for Autumn. I have a large jar just coming to the end in Gingerbread Maple so these will come in handy in the next few weeks.


From the same seller I bought 9 Christmas cards for family and friends. These were 50p each or 3 for £1 so I bought £3 worth. I think cards are so expensive to buy these days at £2 upwards for a small plain card. I love all of the cards that I bought and believe it or not I am pretty much sorted for Christmas already. I have bought presents throughout the year and already have cards and wrapping paper stored which were bought in the January sales.


From a different seller I bought two bags of Yankee Candle samplers (I've always called these votives?). These were 15 samplers for £10 so work out to be 67p each. They range in price £1.35 - £1.71 usually so I reckon these to be half price or less each. I split the candles into two - one bag of Christmas and Winter scents and the other bag full of Spring/Summer scents.


My cosmetics lady was on today and I bought a new bottle of Creme de la mer facial toner from her. The toner is the oil absorbing one and usually costs £65. I paid £25. She has some fantastic bargains but usually only a couple of items. She has given me the heads up for further branded items coming in next week. 


I bought two Soap & Glory gift sets at £2 for each from two different sellers. Both of them contain 4 travel sized products and a shower puff. The travel sizes are normally £2.50 each and the shower puff £3.50. I think the gift sets are usually priced around £10. I may use these myself or give them as stocking fillers to my sister and niece.



One smart lady said she had had enough of the rain and said she was cold too. She hadn't many items left on her stall to sell and said that she was now selling everything at 50p an item. I found a Louis Vuitton silk scarf and asked her if this was 50p and she said yes because it was stained at one end and she couldn't be bothered getting it dry cleaned and she wanted to go home. I assumed it was fake, gave her 50p and put it away in my bag. Just as I was walking off she told me it was genuine. Really?  I'm not sure but I have given it a gentle soak in soft soapy water and the stain came out no problem. For 50p who cares? I think this will look great tied around the handle of one of my black leather handbags.


Another possible fake is a Links of London sweetie bracelet. I have an original one and a comparison does show some slight differences. I only paid £2 for it and the lady selling it was very disorganised. She had the links box full of earings, the empty cloth bag in another part of her stall and the bracelet in a bowl of bangles. I gathered all the items together and was happy with £2. It has a lovely heart charm on it and is fairly heavy. The elasticated section is double, the logo looks right and there are the standard number of spare loops for attaching charms. I don't know why she sold it for £2 unless it is a fake. Again - who cares! I love it as a lightweight spare to my authentic one which is very heavy with charms.


I bought another large sarong sized scarf for £1 and some cute Wristees in a beautiful magenta colour also for £1.  The scarf is for me and the Wristees are a gift for my sister.






My niece loves Lush products and so when I saw this Blooming Beautiful gift set for £1 I had to buy it for her. This is currently selling for £9.50.


I bought two mini bare minerals sets of loose powder and soft mini brush for 20p each. One is in my current medium beige shade. The other is in fairly light which may be okay for me come the middle of winter when I start to look paler. If this doesn't suit then I'll pass this on to my niece who has very pale skin (she is a strawberry blonde). I also bought this Revlon bronzing shimmer brick for 50p. Great for just chucking in my work makeup bag for touch ups during the day.





I found an IKEA throw for £1 that is the same as one I already have. I now have matching throws on both my settees. I did have two throws that are  the same but in different colours which worked well but I prefer the two in the same colour. It is a little crumpled but an iron will soon put that right.


I bought two books. A large Bill Bryson in hardback for 10p - I have loved Bill Bryson's writing after reading Notes from a Small Island about his travels in the UK. He has such a wonderful sense of humour. My second book was £1 and is a Sophie Dahl cookbook. Because of the rain these were both a bit damp and are currently in the airing cupboard drying off.





Finally I bought 3 DVDs, all new and sealed for 50p each.



No comments: